View Single Post

Old 05-29-2017, 11:44 PM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts

So..... Just yesterday I tore my whole revolver apart. I know DFariswheel has heard my whine about it in the past. I was getting off center primer strikes and another guy one time told me it was out of time. Another Smith at a gun store.

But here's what I can see at present. My bolt definitely moves immediately upon pulling the trigger. It does snap back like it seems like it should, BUT it's snapping back early. It drops onto the cylinder before the ramp starts. I can see the drag line start clearly, before the ramp. However, I don't get how I was getting off center primer strikes. When I do pull the trigger, I can feel the bolt dropping in before the trigger is all the way to the rear and before it falls. It sure seems like the cylinder is locked up at the time of the hammer dropping.

It does show to be sluggish on some of the cylinders when pulling back the hammer for single action. However, even in the cases it does 4 sometimes 3 times out of the 6, even though it's sluggish to fall in when pulling back the hammer slowly, it falls in when the hammer drops. And another weird thing. Sometimes it depends on the orientation of the gun. If I have it laying on it's right side, it's 4 times it's sluggish. If I have it on it's right side, it's only 3 and sometimes less. Vertical it's usually 3....

Maybe my cleaning did something, maybe it didn't. It was fun to pull the whole gun apart. I'm going to range tomorrow, with several different brands of ammo. Will try to check for accuracy and off center primer hits. It sure seems like it should be locked when I pull the trigger while dry firing though...... Any input is welcomed. I apologize to prolong my problem I set it aside for a while and chew on what to do about it. This last week it dawned on me to try and see if pulling it apart and a light cleaning would do anything.

Side note: Something so fascinating about how these things go together.

The Following User Likes This Post: