View Single Post

Old 05-30-2017, 03:51 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Requesting help with Identification

Hello Ladies and Gentleman, I am a self proclaimed newbie when it comes to this forum and revolvers. I own several firearms, rifles, shotguns and I carry a gun everyday and have for the last 20 plus years however, I don't know much about revolvers. A couple of days ago, I was able to purchase an old Smith and Wesson which based on my several hours of reading the various forums I can conclude it is somesort of Chiefs Special. I managed to purchase this firearm from a man in his 70's who stated he bought the gun in 1971 for a part time security job he had for a couple of years. I failed to ask him if he bought it new or used however he did not have the box for it. I am still confused whether it's a Model 37, Model 36, Chief Special, Chiefs Special or some other variation. I was looking to find out the approximate date of manufacturing, shipment date from the factory and maybe the dealer it was shipped to. I know this is a lot of information that I am requesting but any bit would help. I really like the firearm and plan to keep it and carry it on rare occasion. I did a pretty thorough inspection with a flashlight and magnafine glass and it appears to be structurally intact. The blueing and the rest of the firearm appear to be in good condition with the exception of a few wear marks from sitting in a holster. No rust or any real pitting are evident. It came with a nice old Bianchi leather holster and leather ammo holder. The marking on the firearm are as follows:
Right Side: (2) Screws only and on the barrel AIRWEIGHT with 38 SPL CTG
Left Side: SMITH & WESSON on left side of barrel and the Smith and Wesson trademark insignia below the cylinder release
Yoke: No model number and a series of weird numbers which don't make sense to me. 1340 7 65
Serial #130711 on the bottom of the handle on the butt of the firearm.
Again, any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0087.jpg (110.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0089.jpg (64.9 KB, 52 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: