View Single Post

Old 05-31-2017, 04:35 PM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

I took a few moments this afternoon to shoot a few patterns. I started off with Winchester Super X 3" #1 Buck 24 pellets at 1040 fps. 22 pellets hit the torso and head of an idpa target at fifteen yards. I continued on with Federal Premium 3"OOO Buck 10 pellets at 1225 fps. 9 pellets​ hit the target at fifteen yards on the torso. What happened next was spectacular. I fired the Federal Classic or Power Shok 3" #4 Buck 41 pellets at 1210 fps. This load recoiled in a severe manner. To be honest my hands were a little sweaty and it slipped and I got nicked by the safety. It still woke me up quite a bit. I didn't bother to count the holes. There was no patching the target after that wad ripped it up. I field dressed my boo boo with TP and continued on. My last load tested was the Winchester Double X High Velocity OO Buck 3" 12 pellet load at 1450 fps. 9 or maybe 10 pellets hit the torso high and some might have leaked through the giant wad hole courtesy of the #4 Buck. Between sweating, boo boo, and a trashed target I called it a day. I found two really nice patterns though. The #1 and 000 were stellar in the 3". I really appreciate the lack of noise in the #1 and the pattern was very solid in the 000 having the potential to be useful even further out. The #4 and 00 Buck loads seem a bit blown out by their wads which were fifteen yards beyond the target.
I have removed, bevelled the sides of and reinstalled the safety. This should eliminate any further boo boos. They​ really could have done some simple bevelling on these guns and alleviated a little bit of operator discomfort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170531_145905078_HDR.jpg (42.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by forrestinmathews; 05-31-2017 at 04:36 PM.