View Single Post

Old 06-01-2017, 08:20 AM

Liked 4,917 Times in 1,706 Posts

I'm 65 and heading in your direction... Last year I tore a muscle in my upper right arm and also had rotator surgery at the same time...have lost about 50% of my strength in some directions with the right arm...

Have also been a CC/personal defense instructor since 1991 and have taught many older shooters. Many could handle no more than a .22 accurately and comfortably..

I also spent 30 years in LE and saw .22s kill a lot of people....the last three shootings I worked were all .22s...and everyone not only stopped their criminal activity but also died...

My favorite .22 for personal defense is the Beretta 87 Cheetah. Very smooth DA pull and can also be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. Three of my students carry them...

And forget HP ammo...at 950 fps it isn't going to expand reliably anyway and if it does penetration is going to go down. Instead I use a HV round nose and use one of the Paco Kelly tools that make a nice sharp flat point...have had no feeding issues with the guns I have tried them in.... The CCI Small Game Bullet is close to that design...

Bob
The Following 4 Users Like Post: