View Single Post

Old 06-01-2017, 04:24 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts
Default F

Quote:
Originally Posted by StakeOut View Post
I carry an SR22 most of the year loaded with Stingers. plus 1 extra mag.

I'm 74 and no physical problems shooting yet.
I want to share a couple things I learned while researching my decision to switch to 22 for edc. I was sure that the CCI Stinger or Velocitor would be the best choice. I had previously boiled down my choice of a 22 to either a SR22 or the 22 Compact. After renting both at my LGS range I decided on M&P 22 Compact.. Both were fine and reliable guns, but for me the M&P just felt better in my hand. I also was a bit turned off by the SR22's plastic recoil rod. I like steel as in the M&P.

I did query both Ruger and S&W about using CCI Stinger ammo. Both replied that they recommended not using that ammo in any of their rimfire guns. No details were given, but my research online led me to believe that the high pressure created on firing the Stinger was punshing the 22 barrels to their limit. So I concluded it was not a long term option because I did not want s barrel to rupture at some point in the future.

As for the Velocitor (and Stinger) I could not fins a ballistic test that showed any HP expansion out of a handgun. At the same time I found several reports that showed CCI Mini Mag HPs did expand when fires from a 3.5 inch barrel into ballistic gel. I also found a test of Mini Mag HP fired at a pig thigh bone (very thick). It blew the bone apart when hit at 10 feet, which is a likely distance in a SD encounter. Being able to penetrate bone is really important when it comes to incapacitation.

So I am a CCI Mini Mag advocate. I an not an expert but I a competent researcher. I make decisions based upon research not urban myth.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: