View Single Post

Old 06-02-2017, 03:51 PM

Liked 12,371 Times in 1,902 Posts

I bought my first Roy Baker pancake holster in 1977 and fell in love with them. When I began my full time law enforcement career with the North Carolina Alcohol Law Enforcement Division I was issued a 2.5 inch Model 66-2 and a black, unlined, Roy Baker pancake holster. The State Bureau of Investigation, at that time, issued the same gun and same holster.

I don't have any current photo's of my Baker holsters, but I just did an inventory and I only have 17 now. I have holsters for J, K, and N frame S&W's. Some black, some a russet color, some lined, some unlined. I even have one that was made without a thumb snap for a six inch N frame.

I have seen/bought several that were purported to be "like" Baker's holsters but I have found that they all fall short. I think its mainly due to those making holsters now using a different type, more stiff, leather.

If someone would start making holsters like Baker with the same type of leather they would make a fortune. My niece has started working with leather and I gave her a couple of them to use as patterns. She has not gotten them exactly like Baker's holsters but is getting better.

Nothing I have ever tried, and I have more holsters than the law allows, has ever worked as well as the original Baker pancake holster. I can carry a 6 inch 29-3 all day while hunting and actually forget that I am carrying it and no one will ever see it.

Last edited by WCCPHD; 06-02-2017 at 03:52 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: