View Single Post

Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 PM

Liked 4,377 Times in 1,654 Posts

Working about six or seven years in the bag I rarely drew my M64 from its belt holster and never fired it. (Only time I ever used it on the job was from a vertical shoulder rig.)

Drew my M36 a bit more as an investigator, but again never fired it. A good quality holster that covers the hammer spur is essential in my opinion. I always prefered a horizontal shoulder rig, but have also worn pancakes on both strong and weak side, either together or with a shoulder rig. I have always used a snap closure. Using proper grip with thumb moving from snap to cover hammer spur as weapon is drawn. Never snagged coming out, never ripped a suit lining.

I always carried my M40 when I was able to on the job. (Since retirement its my constant companion; if it can't come, I don't go.) Sometimes in an ankle, sometimes in a pancake opposite my 36. But what I could do with the 40 I would never do with the 64 or 36. Tuck it into an EMPTY pocket, especially in so-so neighborhoods or in wintertime (instead of leaving buttons unbuttoned). The 40 (or 49, or I guess alu-minummm or scarry-um replicas of the same) can shoot through that pocket holster and/or jacket if need be.

Working undercover, suppression, anti-crime, I always preferred the 40 as my primary. It could be carried in a pocket or a more minimalist IWB rig and present more quickly. Although I spent less than half of my career in these endeavors, I had many, many, many occasions to draw my weapon. It was also these assignments where I would fire a weapon in the line of duty. Zero problems with the covered hammer design. Zero problems with a 12 pound trigger pull.

As to ability to fire accurate shots SA vs DA. A good DAO like the M40 can be easily staged for an accurate shot. Like a true two stage trigger on a rifle. Sight-stage-sight-fire. The longest shot I ever made in a real situation was into about an 8" tall 6" wide oval at about 90', dead on.

Just my $0.02.