View Single Post

Old 06-05-2017, 12:26 PM

Liked 2,227 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naphtali View Post
Since bobbing the hammer has been mentioned in this thread, who are gunsmiths who "bob" revolver hammers? I have an SP101 3-inch barrel that I believe would become more efficient were hammer bobbed while leaving enough spur (or snag resistant spur-like portion??) to effect a single action mode, using a small amount of trigger pressure to raise bobbed hammer enough for purchase to cock. I remember viewing a photograph of such a hammer and nodding as I thought how useful the bobbed hammer was.

But, of course, I do not have the photograph, nor do I know gunsmiths who do such work on SP101s.
You could probably call ruger and get one. They make the SP101 in DAO with a bobbed hammer.

To the OP, yes, I've gotten my Colt DS snagged on my shirt a few times practicing drawing from the appendix. I think it has the potential to be an issue in a real situation. I think I've had my Browning HiPower get snagged a time or two also practicing. It's not the ring hammer.

I wouldn't be opposed to having an exposed hammer for a carry revolver, but I would get it bobbed for sure.

Last edited by ABPOS; 06-05-2017 at 12:28 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: