View Single Post

Old 06-06-2017, 11:13 PM

Liked 129 Times in 58 Posts
Default Magna Stocks and approximate value?

Good day Everyone --=--

I recently bought a pair of older Smith & Wesson stocks, I have reviewed them in the SCS&W yet still am unsure of their exact year range or what they are for that matter.

So;
S&W Magna Diamond Center, Checkered Stocks?
Per the SCS&W, these appear to be from between 1934 and 1941 (from my review of the Catalog). This seems to align with the serial number of 305877 stamped on the back. Upon close examination with a magnifying glass, I can barely make out where it looks to have had the ‘filler’ grips installed, furthering the approximate time line as those were available along 1934 or so. I can just make out the ‘tabs’ on each side of the stocks. The screw also seems to be extended to accommodate the filler.
They are not relieved for the side-plate screw head and have black/blued rear escutcheons that are slightly concave to the center pin. They are square butt, not round and the checkering outline is not as arched at the top as earlier ones in the Catalog, flatter if you will.
They seem to me to be between Excellent and Good condition, there are some very minor checkering flaws and the silver colored S&W insignias don’t necessarily align (straight up and down with the wood). You can see the minor checkering flaws just to the upper right of the Diamond Center.
I have looked at some old posts for stocks and am still not convinced which ones I may have.
Might anyone have an idea on an approximate value for these stocks? I picked these up and would like to sell them as I don’t have anything as old as these should fit.
Thank you!
mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (143.2 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0367.jpg (163.5 KB, 291 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: