View Single Post

Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Liked 725 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post
9mm clearly puts more energy on target than .38's even +p's so I like it as a defensive round in a carry gun.

Of course the .357 trumps 9mm but muzzle blast and recoil make sustained fire much more difficult.
I disagree. Special +P beats a 9mm. I like the recoil impulse of the .38 over the 9mm. So much softer. The R&D is being put into the 9mm, but I can load the Special hotter than a 9mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic147 View Post
Valid point but.......in close quarters the bad guy could get a hand on your revolver at which point it would lock the cylinder rendering it useless. Try it sometime (with an unloaded gun of course). If you grab it at anywhere around the cylinder you can't pull it through and make the shot and it doesn't take a lot of grip strength to do. Knowing this in a reverse situation with a revolver in the bad guy's hand this could be to your advantage. With the semi you are more likely to at least get off 1 round.

Not advocating one is better than the other but just pointing out an often overlooked flaw of the revolver.
The late Louis Auerbuck one stated that once a revolver has a malfunction, it will likely take it out of the fight. That's true. However, there is a lot higher chance of success with the revolver given a simpler manual of arms and less complexity.

Funny thing is that apparently 9mm Revolvers are one of the worst offenders for having kinetic bullet pulling, a potentially show stopping malfunction.