Thread: L frame photos
View Single Post

Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM

Liked 1,324 Times in 487 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
A 681 PC is hardly anything to be "sorry" about (LOL). I have your gun's cousin, the same model treated to a two-tone Birdsong finish of green and black. Ugly as sin but it shoots OK. Now I'm sorry as I have no picture of it.

Pictures I do have are of a couple of Brazilian 38 Specials:

A CS-1 pawn shop find:

And this odd-ball. A 586-7 done up by the Custom Shop in the style of the guns Smith produced for the French anti-terrorist police:

Supposedly there are only 92 of these so collectors, don't read any further...I shoot this one occasionally. (smile)

Dave
Yep, my 681+ PC started out as a green/black Birdsong "T" coated gun. When I got it, the finish was showing a little wear on the high spots, so I called Birdsong's and spoke with Walter Birdsong himself in an effort to learn how to remove it. He asked me if I had one of those S&W revolvers he did for them years ago, and I said I did. He said he could never understand why they wanted that finish on such a gun. He also said that blasting with aluminum oxide or beads was probably the only way I'd get it all off. I used the aluminum oxide and got that darker grey, Ruger-like effect. I love the gun. Shoots great, locks up tight and is accurate as it can be.