View Single Post

Old 06-13-2017, 03:05 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimHigher View Post
The term they use in training "center of mass" is self explanatory. And the scoring of human form silhouette targets still utilized for firearms training, penalizes for any round hitting outside of the center of mass. So, maybe they should revise the term and the target scoring scheme to reflect 'High Center of Mass'?
I do not know what "they" should do. What I believe for me and therefore know for me is that there is a lot of stuff being sold to SD trainees that is irresponsible. I see how many trainers are ex military, and I wonder what qualifies them to be a SD trainer. Look, I spent 4 years in Nam in direct combat roles. It sucks. Certain things I learned made were translatable to civilian SD situations. Most were not. Combat is chaos. SD has to be calculating not chaotic.

I got two things from combat. 1) Marines die, but the best way to stay alive is to keep focused on the target with a one shot one kill mentality. 2) Fear of death will get you killed so accept the fact that Warriors die and stay focused on killing your adversary.

The things I write in this forum are intended to raise consciousness. I have had almost three decades since ending my thirty year career in the Corps to learn how to tanslate combat experience into the reality of the civilian world.

Here are the things I know in that regard.

A person who never was in a gun fight is not an expert. You can study all the case histories you want but the true test is when you are being shot at.

Fear of dying will get you killed. A desire to live will help you kill your opponent.

You win by having nerves of steel coupled with knowledge and practice of gunfighting not stances for target shooting.

The common "drills" I read about are nonsense. When the SHTF it all changes. You want to be a top gun in the balls dept? Then go get shot at. It concentrates the mind on the task of surviving.

In the usual civilian situation the many different drills you pay to practice will not mean a thing. 99% of the time you will be in a one on one or two one one encounter with no cover available. That is not about move and shoot. It about dispatching the bad guys in short order by being calm and selectively killing them.

SSemoer Fi.
The Following 9 Users Like Post: