View Single Post

Old 06-13-2017, 10:37 AM

Liked 8,929 Times in 4,138 Posts

An additional aspect bears addressing here. Some of us use different zeroing methods and techniques and we all have different skill levels. Comments are based on my experience only and I seek no argument.

I zero using a Hart pedestal rest with a Protektor sandbag and a Protektor bunny ear bag rear rest. I use handloads with a either a Sierra 69 MK or Sierra 65 GK and my observations are based on such loads rather than the 55 grain commercial loads that many shoot, though there are likely some similarities.

From the rest, I zero approximately 2" high at 100 yards for an approximate 200 yard zero. To closely simulate an actual "field" position, i.e., using less than a stable rest, I support the rifle forearm/ handguard with my left hand placed atop the forward sandbag.

This method, for me, consistently causes point of impact to be approximately 1 1/2"-2" low at 100 yards and 3"-4" low at 200. This could vary from shooter-to-shooter. The point is that it is worth checking as the variance could be significantly less or greater than what I have experienced.