View Single Post

Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,054 Times in 4,535 Posts

I am glad someone mentioned the proverbial Mozambique drill. Two to the body, one to the head. Just remember that if you are confronted by more than one perp who want to kill you you don't want to use up too much ammunition. Not that in the heat of the confrontation you're likely to remember how many shots you fired.

Dirty Harry Callahan:
Quote:
I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?
(c) Warner Bros 1971

Quote:
Despite all my readin' and studyin' and practicin', I believe my in-practice plan is very simple--shoot them fast, shoot them hard, and shoot them until they stop.
Eminently sensible. Just try to keep an extra round for the other guy you didn't see at first!

Speaking of point shooting, as someone mentioned above, I like to remind folks of the difference between using your sight picture and "point shooting". If all you ever do at the range is try to hit bullseyes you are giving up half of your required skill set. Put out a silhouette target of any kind, official or a zombie target, and at various distances (but not silly long distances where sights are required unless you're dumb lucky or a Bob Munden/Jerry Miculek type of shooter) look that "perpetrator" straight in the face, do not look at your gun, no sights required, and put a few rounds in center mass. If you can't do that practice until you can. If you want to do a Mozambique drill while you practice this that is acceptable but two shots must be in center mass out of every three.

Every Hollywood movie, cops and robbers, cowboys and Indians, Allies versus Axis, Special Ops and tangos, it doesn't matter, has a scene where someone is shooting on the move or from the hip. It might be fiction and VERY HARD TO DO but it underscores the fact that, literally, it might be a necessary skill. What the Army teaches today I do not know but when I was in Basic Training (yes, before I was Navy I was Army - a reserve forces lifer!) they did require us to shoot M-14s from the hip.

You will very likely NOT have time to aim for a perfect shot in a confrontation. You need to be prepared to hit center mass without your sights.