View Single Post

Old 06-17-2017, 01:51 PM

Liked 9,287 Times in 3,716 Posts

You can probably safely shoot factory +P ammo through that revolver; IIRC the factory has said anything after numbers came along is good to go with +P. As I recall, the ads for old school .38-44 loads, much hotter than +P stuff, said it could be fired safely in a lot of guns including the K frames. For ME, the following apply:

1) I have a bunch of lead WC target loads, shot mostly out of my K38 (a 14-3, IIRC). That is the revolver I shoot when I just want to feel good about my shooting.

2) I also have a bunch of lead SWC at standard velocity, and shoot them from the above revolver and my M66; just used those at my LEOSA qual. I can shoot hotter stuff through the 66, but feel no need for it. A +P version of this load is the only +P load I would really bother having, and I don't care enough. This bullet shape will do what one needs in self-defense, penetrating adequately to and through the vitals if placed in the right location (which is the most important variable).

Those two loads will do virtually anything I can foresee needing to do with those revolvers. I have used the WC in a J frame .38, too; it's recommended by a lot of folks. I would carry the SWC for reloading ease.

3) One can plink fine with the round nose stuff, either all lead or FMJ, but I prefer to not even have any just to prevent the possibility having it in any firearm needed for serious purposes. It's not suitable for any use other than plinking, or shooting it up to make empties for reloading.