View Single Post

Old 06-17-2017, 09:36 PM

Liked 87 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post

Like you, I don't see well at distance without my corrective glasses. So I'm not taking them off just because I have a gun in my hands. That's not even a consideration.

And it's the only way that I would shoot with both eyes open using a 1x red dot and my glasses.

In my last thread I stated that I could have exchanged my Sparc AR red dot for a Strike Eagle 1-6 scope, but decided to go with the Spitfire AR and you said "With the Strike Eagle the front sight would have disappeared after 2x magnification. And with the Strike Eagle you would be able to use the focus to see everything sharp downfield without wearing your glasses." Now, I have an optic that I dont have to wear my glasses with and youre saying it's "unnecessarily complicated."

As far as standard magnified rifle scopes, I'd make sure I had one with an eyepiece focus (focus the reticle) and parallax adjustment, often refereed to as a 'side focus' or 'adjustable objective' for getting the target in focus.

I'd start by first getting my reticle in focus like this.

Weraring corrective glasses...

Turn the eyepiece focus ring out all the way.

Not looking through the scope, look off into the distance and relax the eyes. Then look through the scope properly.

The reticle will look out of focus.

Turn the eyepiece ring back in until reticle starts to look decent, then adjust it slowly until the reticle is as sharp as possible.

------
It appears that prism sights are not your thing, and thats fine. Just like red dots are not mine. However, my sight while not a true 1x (rarely any red dots are, even the MRO is actually 1.05x), acts very similar to RDS and for me delivers the illuminated reticle in a different way thats easier on astigmatism. Its paralax free, is close to 1x, delivers a clearer picture for me. Also the spitfire does have a reticle focus which I dialed in first, to assure the crispest reticle.

My original question from the OP was "Im wanting to know if there is another type of optic that would work better, both with and without my glasses.... or is it just the right lens in my glasses is gonna cause this problem with any optic?" I'm unsure of how it got so off topic but feel free to close the thread.... I think i'm going to spend some time on both the 1x and 4x32 for a while and then make a choice about possibly getting the strike eagle.... and Thank you for taking the time to write what you would do.