View Single Post

Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,972 Times in 3,665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR Moore View Post
I've been wearing corrective lenses for decades. Passing from single lenses through bifocals to trifocals. I've been using Aimpoints for 30+ years as well as scopes.

So, you don't want to believe this, but if you can't make out faces or road signs till you're 15 feet away, you CAN'T see perfectly for everyday purposes. You need to be wearing those specs, particularly if your poor eye is your master eye. BTW, things are gonna get worse as you get older. As a long time instructor, I've dealt with many folks in denial about their eyesight (including myself about the jump to trifocals). Your situation isn't unusual, but you need to accept that you NEED vision correction.

I expect, heck I know, your correction for astigmatism isn't correct if you don't have a sharp red dot. Now, this can be sloppy work by your opthamologist or the lens provider. I've had issues with both. Prescription lens grinds aren't truly custom, they progress by discrete steps. The eye doctor gets it as close as they can. Usually, they can get it right on the money, or at least usable. What I've taken to doing is dismounting one of my optics and taking it along when I visit the opthamologist. When I've got a clear dot, he's got the astigmatism correction right. You don't want to be using lowest bidder for your vision care needs-unless they're getting the job done, which it appears yours didn't.

Alternatively, you could learn to shoot other handed to use the "good eye".
Having not read beyond this, let me offer an AMEN!!

My first glasses with astigmatism correction were---"unsatisfactory" is the mixed company term I used. I walked out of the eye doc office, noticed I could not see the lines between the bricks on a building across the street; and turned right around and went back in. Their response of "Oh!" was delivered with a tone and facial expression I took to mean they knew EXACTLY what was wrong. That interpretation was proven to be correct when the new glasses were finished---they were perfect----maybe even a little bit better.

The moral of this story is NEVER accept ANYTHING that doesn't suit you/meet your expectations. Every once in a while you'll learn you got the best there is. Most of the time you'll learn they can do better---sure enough!!

Ralph Tremaine
The Following User Likes This Post: