View Single Post

Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,548 Times in 653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestinmathews View Post
Have you seen the PM-30 22 Magnum pistol? I saw that thing fired at an indoor match and I was in awe. Holy cow it's loud and formidable.

Have you considered some solids in the mix as well? I am just a little hesitant on the HP in .22 LR.
I did try the PM30. Nice gun, but the ballistics are not that much better than the 22 LR at close range, where it's barrel length gives it slight edge. I found that it was too long for concealed carry with a grip that I did not like. I love the 22 Compact ergonomics.

I did a mountain of research into best 22 ammo for SD. Selected Mini Mag HP based on tests that showed it was one of two HP loads that would expand out of a 3.5 inch barrel. The other was Winchester Super X power point. The latter dId not mix well with my 22 Compact. Too many failures while no failures with the Mini Mag.

If the Mini Mag HP fails to expand it is a ball round and it is likely to tumble and reverse to base forward after penetrationmif three inches. Effect is like a HP when it comes to permanent wound cavity.

While I was not a fan of mixing loads in a magazine in the case of 22 I do it. I stagger Mini Mag HPnwith RN. The first round out is HP.

I get a succession of expansion and penetration that way. Neither is going to penetrate through the head or the thoracic cavity, but both will just bounce around the area thay are fired into and not exit the body. It is like shooting an immersion blender into someone. It just grinds up the innards.

The bottom line of using a mouse gun for SD is accuracy more than ballistics. Being very analytic by nature I came to a well researched conclusion. A well placed round from a 22 is more effective than a poorly placed round from a 45. There was a time when I could deliver a headshot from a M1911 at 10 yards. Age, arthritis, and a delapidated strong side rotator cuff has changed all that. Now I have rely on accuracy more than power. I am confident in my decision.

I hope I never get to put that decision to the test, but should I have to I am confident this old Marine will do what he was taught; kill the enemy. I just will do it with less power than I had back in the days of my prime. Semper Fi.
The Following User Likes This Post: