View Single Post

Old 06-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat38 View Post
Mine was spitting "something" with plated and jacketed bullets (Xtreme and Speer GDSB) and BB lead FBI load. Accuracy was as good as I can shoot, tennis ball at 10 yards, even with the "spitting" bullets.
My 66 was accepted by S&W on June 6, so 2 weeks next Tuesday. Glad to hear I should get mine back in a couple of weeks.
I have long wondered if getting a revolver that needs to go back for warranty work might have any good points. I have this idea, right or wrong, that the gun is being checked out by someone with more experience than the assemblers that screwed them up in the first place. Many of the parts are MIM, and just need to be assembled, but who does the work like cutting the crown and forcing cone, low paid assemblers or real gunsmiths? Not sure I want to know the answer. The say that making laws is like making sausages, something you don't want to see happening, but I would like to think that building guns is not in the same category.

Best,
Rick
Howdy Rick,

I hope your theory about the folks inspecting warranty guns being more qualified is accurate! If there are problems with their items they should be fixed right the first time by a qualified professional. And I am not sure who is in charge of cutting forcing cones and crowning muzzles, etc, on the production line but I would think any competent person with enough training can manage those relatively easy tasks (easy compared to detailed parts fitting anyway). So I would guess they are lower paid assemblers as opposed to certified smiths. That is just my guess. And I am with you on the sausage analysis... just deliver me a delicious sausage I really don't need to know that there are pig ears, eye balls, and lord knows what else inside of it.......