View Single Post

Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,225 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tops View Post
If the glove compartment is locked it is legal and is not considered concealed. Larry
Is this in writing? I'm not doubting you but my CCW instructor said otherwise. Edit - I just went to the NC Laws on page 25 and found this. See last sentence.......there is a lot of confusion and no clear delineation on vehicle carry.

D. Transporting Weapons
Given this general prohibition of carrying concealed weapons, individuals must be ever vigilant to ensure their particular situation cannot be construed as concealing a weapon, either on or about them, without being properly authorized to do so with a valid North Carolina, or recognized out-of-state concealed handgun permit. Therefore, the permittee's accessibility to the weapon is of prime importance. It is unlawful to transport a weapon (absent a proper permit) that is BOTH concealed and readily accessible to a person. It is for these reasons, that when transporting a weapon in a vehicle, even greater care must be exercised to ensure that the weapon is not concealed and within the ready access to an occupant of the vehicle. North Carolina law does not specifically address how to transport a weapon in an automobile. Therefore, the central question becomes: when is the weapon concealed and readily accessible to an occupant of an automobile? Obviously, a weapon would be concealed and readily accessible, and therefore in violation of North Carolina law, if it were placed in such areas of a vehicle as under the seat of the automobile; in a bag in the back seat; or in some other manner is covered or hidden within the easy reach of an occupant of the vehicle. It is our recommendation that firearms should not be carried in a glove compartment regardless of whether the compartment is locked or not

Last edited by opaul; 06-19-2017 at 04:44 PM.