View Single Post

Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

SLT223, a question for you. Are you combining Seating and Crimping into one operation or doing these steps separately. I ask because I have had so many issues trying to combine seating and crimping that I won't every try using a combined setup again. One issue I encountered when trying to Seat/Crimp 45 ACP JACKETED bullets was that as the Taper Crimp started to engage the rim would "bite" into the jacket on the bullet and shave a ring of copper from the jacket. Sometimes that shave ring could actually be grabbed with tweezers and stripped from the bullet. Another issue was from using a RN Seating Stem (all I had) with Hornady XTP HP bullets, the bullet would actually Stall going into the case any further and the remaining stroke of the press closed up the hollow point in the bullet by a noticeable amount.

I'm just wondering if you are using a combined Seat/Crimp if you aren't actually "breaking" the plating by doing this. BTW, I learned early on that trying to combine seat and crimp in 357 Magnum led to a lot of buckled cases so any revolver caliber I load today is always seated and crimped in separate operations.