View Single Post

Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Liked 14,848 Times in 5,049 Posts

Well I love the wealth of "insider" information and I also duly note that a typical .40cal pistol is more prone to wear than a typical 9mm or .45 pistol, but with that said, I'm chomping at the bit to hear some estimated round counts of what it takes (in the eyes of an agency armorer and/or procurement head) to approach the "end of service life" of an all-steel, full-size 3rd Gen.

I'll repeat, a .40 S&W chambered duty pistol should rationally have a shorter lifespan than a 9mm or .45cal counterpart, but I would expect the number to be HIGH.

So if we look at what has been discussed here (admittedly I am going from memory and not scrolling up) but these TSW's were put in to service when, around 11 years ago? And every specimen seemingly being released for public sale so far seems to show precious little use?

How many years did they use the 4006 before they went for the TSW's?

An alloy frame... it's "game on" for wear and possible life. But I suppose I am in the camp of folks who REALLY wants to see what a worn out full-size steel frame 3rd Gen looks like, because I haven't had the pleasure of seeing one yet.

And I try my best not to be overly skeptical all the time, but when it comes to government spending, my default is to raise an eyebrow. Absolutely, our sworn officers need solid equipment, I would never suggest otherwise. And while I only have the pleasure of owning two formerly issued 3rd Gens and that makes my tangible experience basically meaningless...

Bottom line: somebody show me some CHP 4006's (not these new TSW's) that are too old, too beat-up, and in need of being replaced.

If we think that integral rail 3rd Gens are a scarce beast, show me some end-of-life all-steel 3rd Gens, because I say those are far more scarce.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: