View Single Post

Old 06-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Default Holster modification for M&P/Trijicon HD

I carry and M&P .45 mid-size in a Comp-Tac Gladiator on duty daily. I normally wear blazers/slacks. I recently found about 2-3 dozen tiny holes on the outside of a new blazer. I thought it was wearing until I realized they were around my gun. I've had rear sights wear out blazer linings before, and had linings replaced, but these are going THROUGH the coat fabric. A look at the gun/holster showed what was going on, the Trijicon HD sights are sharp as a razor on the corner. I love these sights and this holster, and didn't want to pay to get 5-6 blazers re-lined knowing the sharp sights would puncture the outer cloth too-and getting them all done with some really think lining would easily cost over $100 bucks. A check of my other coats shows some damage, but not to the extent of the others or it is hidden by fabric weave. No holsters around with a high protector, not sure I want to take a file to the sight as the shape of the top edge does not lend itself to re-shaping/bevel. So, I fashioned this "paddle" extension of the top of the holster to shield the sight. Used some old holster hardware I had from when I intended to start working with Kydex to fasten it. Again, not perfect but decent to work I hope. The "paddle" shield seems to work, it sits a bit out (more heat gun) but presses against the sharp sight and should save me having to replace any more coats (one nice blue blazer is a total loss). If anyone has any other thoughts/experiences/ideas on this I'd welcome it. I wear a thick Armor belt and the gun rides pretty tight to my side in the Gladiator, but I have an arm on my chair at work and I think it is "pinching" it. I'm thinking of calling Comp-Tac after they get moved, they used to do some custom work years ago, maybe they make a holster shell that has a high outside guard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1213.jpg (65.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1214.jpg (86.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Jhp147; 07-01-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: add detail, correct side
The Following User Likes This Post: