View Single Post

Old 06-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Liked 17,296 Times in 6,647 Posts

That's why I like bringing my 5906 to the range. I just aim at the target and the bullets hit that point. Makes me look like some sort of pistolero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbolt View Post
Not that it applies to you, and your range experience, but your comment made me think of something ...

While some shooters may compliment or complain about the weight of a handgun, there's something to be said for a handgun possessing a certain amount of heft, and balanced weight.

Not just to help with mitigating recoil forces, either.

Some shooters have an easier time of tightening their practical accuracy when using a heavier gun, as the weight makes it less susceptible to small shifts on muzzle movement. More resistance to muscular twitches and breezes, and especially some better resistance to gun movement when "over compensating" while trying to adjust and refine a sight picture.

Of course, this "advantage" can quickly shift to becoming a disadvantage as a range session progresses, and letting a heavy handgun hang out there off the end of your arm becomes fatiguing.

Just thought I'd mention it.

The boat anchor all steel 4006/4566TSW's can really offer some "stability" of hold because of their weight ... as long as the shooter isn't busily swinging and jerking their arms, because then weight, inertia and momentum become more than theoretical issues to ponder for a shooter rapidly trying to make solid hits.

I still rather like my assorted light plastic pistols, but care has to be taken so their very lightness doesn't become something which allows them to more easily wiggle and shift when trying to zero in the sights for an unsupported shot.