View Single Post

Old 06-24-2017, 02:34 PM

Liked 2,047 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerSS View Post
I see a post of mine has disappeared.
TMPB, do as CJ suggests and don't store your rifle in that case. Unless, you do as I had done once before. I had a case similar to that one that I would store one of my RUGER 10/22's in. But, I would spray a light coat of WD-40 on the foam about once a month. It did two things; prevented rust, and kept a light oil residue on the rifle. That was one of those tips that my German grandfather taught me.
I would not use wd-40 on any gun, with all do respect to your Grandfather. Look at the MSDS for WD-40 and you will see that WD-40 does not contain a lot of oil. It is only about 25% petro oil IIRC.

https://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

It might be ok for some cleaning. It would be ok as a lubricant if nothing else was available but it is not good for long term storage because it evaporates and gums up when left on or in something. It is a water disperser, WD, and it will dry sometimed leaving a film or build up on guns.

There are better products for long-term protection and storage of firearms and there are certainly better cleaners and lubricants so there is no need to ever use it IMHO.