View Single Post

Old 06-25-2017, 09:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 5,590 Times in 2,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakco View Post
I disagree with your assessment of the "21 ft. rule". It is the recommended MINIMUM distance to react and defend against a knife attack using movement and a holstered firearm as a LEO. I have personally tested the 21FR and can tell you the further away you are the better BUT the 21FR teaches you to have situational awarness of distance and the persons hands and demeanor in a LEO setting. Inside of 21' you WILL get cut and you WON'T have time to react and draw a firearm.

A NON-LEO that carriers runs into a whole different set of issues. Non-LEO's are generally targets for crime and must have, IMO, a much higher SA when out and about. This in and of itself makes an edged weapon much more dangerous.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk
Doug M. was correct on the very first post. The 21-foot "rule" exists only in the imagination of those who do not understand the Tueller drill. The Tueller drill is an experiment which any group of three or more people can perform for themselves. 21 feet is usually used as a distance at which to perform the cutting/stabbing part of the experiment. The other part of the experiment is learning your own draw-and-hit times. The outcome of the experiment depends to some extent on the physical condition of the knife-wielders, and even more on the draw-and-hit speed of the defenders, who are usually woefully inadequate at 21 feet. But check it out yourself. I did at Massad Ayoob's LFI-1 course.

21 feet? Fageddaboutit.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: