View Single Post

Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17,099 Times in 5,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
Well I agree that when you can't do something that might get you out of a threatening encounter or an attack you have to take other action.

At 75 I am not the runner I was when in the Corps. But I can run a short distance. That is all I need to be able to draw, turn and fire. If I was with someone that would not be an option. Keep in mind that my various comment have been part of a debate about putting time and distance from an attacker. I was arguing that side stepping and backing up are not the best options for that. If you want distance quickly turn and run, if you can. That does mean you have to run away. You just have to get a chance to draw before the attacker stabs you. Remember if attacked by a knife it is likely to start when the attacker is right on top of you so you might not be able to draw fast enough. That is why I have been stating that a person best have some other defensive skills.
Very few people have the skill or the experience to defend themselves against a knife attack. Some can't defend themselves. A hand gun is an instant equalizer.

As I stated before, I've been cut twice. Slashed once and stabbed the other. Didn't even know I was bleeding. Creating distance would have put me in a much better position to defend myself. A little more time and I can prepare for the attack and hopefully use an improvised weapon instead of my bare hands.