View Single Post

Old 06-27-2017, 11:21 PM

Liked 29,236 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default Took 158 to the range, but.....

I STILL haven't gotten my surgery, my cardio dr. is checking me and taking his time.

I took the 158 gr lead HPs to the range last week for velocity testing and though the cartridges looked and plunked good, they wouldn't feed well in my guns and I wasn't able to fire the higher loadings. I'm going to try again.

Even if I succeed there, I'm still having problems with being able to determine what the max loadings are for the 165 and 158 gr bullets in 9mm. I called Alliant and they told me they just didn't test those bullets. I'll call the Accurate people and see if they have more data on the Acc #7 powder. Someone suggested that the Vihtvuori people might be helpful. If I can't find what I want with Alliant and Accurate, I'll try them and get some Vihta powder. I don't mind spending the extra dough since I have a specific goal.

Can I ask if any of you have Quickload software if you could run these loadings and come up with a theoretical max load?

9mm 158 gr. lead and 165 grain jacketed with Power Pistol, Acc #7 and whatever Vihtavuori powder would get the best velocities with this combo. That would at least give me a framework to work in.

I believe that I can get better results, but it's slow coming.

Oh, and when I get the velocity testing done, I'm going to test them in wet pulp. I only used the paper last time because it was what I could get, but now I know nobody stocks pulp paper but they can 'order it for you'.