View Single Post

Old 06-28-2017, 07:42 PM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default Shot my first IDPA match today, it was ...

... both sobering and humbling!

Prior to the accident that left me permanently disabled other than military reliance on my 1911, most of my handgun shooting focused around 2700 bullseye, PPC, and IHMSA silhouette matches. Other than to demonstrate proficiency at the local range for pistol privileges, I haven't really taken out any of my handguns.

Now that I have my non-resident CFP, I felt it was time to engage in some form of combat shooting to try to develop some kind of preparedness and mindset of what we are all preparing for and hoping will never occur. I was confident going into this that I could do it.

I hit the road at 5am to get to the range by 8:30, taking my S&W model 439. I went through the new competitor briefing and got squadded. By the time that the match was over, the heat had taken it's toll. My legs didn't allow me to run or move very fast. I knew going in that I wouldn't set any speed records. My goal was to make every shot count with a solid hit.

I was amazed at the devious minds that developed the course of fire. I hadn't expected to have to compute and implement a "battle plan" on my feet. I felt like a contortionist, my body had not been made to flex like I did today throughout my physical therapy. My body is aching in wmays I haven't felt since before the accident.

I don't (at the moment) know my scores, I hurt too much to venture to the targets during scoring. I know, once time is factored in, that I didn't set the world on fire.

After thoughts:

1. I will probably shoot this type of match a few more times, but it isn't a "game" that I plan on being an active competitor in like F class or bullseye pistol.
2. I can't shoot this again in the heat like today, I am physically drained.
3. While I am comfortable with the 439, I will probably switch to my Government Model 45 until my Commander comes in.
4. The course of fire requirements seem to trump tactical decision making, in many respects, I doubt that I could engage multiple real life targets in the manner dictated by the training. I can't develop the muscle memory to "slice the pie" in real life, I feel that I would have to neutralize a hostage taker first.
5. Was I comfortable with my first IDPA match? Absolutely not!
6. Will I shoot IDPA matches again? I feel that I must, if I continue to exercise my CFP.
7. What was the most important benefit that I came home with? First and foremost, engaging "hostile" targets amidst "innocent" targets was an eye opener.