View Single Post

Old 06-29-2017, 09:04 AM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts

I respect and appreciate the views and comments shared. As a disabled single parent, that greatest lesson I came away with yesterday, is that IF my children are with me when I have to go defensive, I can not both shepherd them to safety and engage a threat.

That said ...
... I know IDPA is a game, so is paintball and most any other activity geared towards preparing for the unknown.
... Yes, participants in the game may use expensive guns, but you don't need to, yourself. I am using what I plan to carry. At the moment, it is either my 439 or my Government Model. When the permits come in, it will be a Commander 45 and a 686+ 3". I plan on training with what I use.

For me, my participation in IDPA is a matter of both mindset and physical ability. I am currently the product of twenty four accident generated surgeries that have been focused on musculoskeletal injuries or kidney damage resulting from a motor vehicle accident. The ability to walk twenty feet easily and pain free is not a given. Like most people, I have good days and bad days. I have only one good arm, my shooting arm ... so the jui jitzu dojo is out of the question, the same as doing the 50 yard dash. I have to force my body to respond, and I need a purpose. Yes, I could go to a civilian friendly PPC range, but I won't benefit from the opportunity to engage multiple assailants, the same as I won't have to move to cover. Granted, IDPA doesn't envision every engagement scenario, but the smaller elements of the matches MAY replicate what I could encounter. I am looking to approach IDPA as an FTX, where the multitude of training skill sets will will provide the luxury of adapting to a tactical threat.

I am not saying that IDPA is the miracle approach to self defense, in fact, I know that it isn't. After my accident and the resultant injuries, I have felt that I have a flashing neon sign over me identifying me as a potential victim. Getting my CFP was the first step to removing that sign. I see participation in the occasional IDPA match as the second step in removing that sign, proving to me that my body can respond and deliver to meet the pending threat. Is it the perfect approach? Absolutely not. Is it the perfect training regime? Absolutely not. But it is what I can afford and approach at my own pace.

Do I want to do long term IDPA? I don't know, because for me, IDPA is like physical therapy, I don't want to really do it, but it is something that I have to do.