View Single Post

Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Liked 55 Times in 29 Posts

Folks,

While stumbling around the archives on ARF.com a few days ago, guess what I found?

This is the original post I made back in November, 2012 to start my journey bringing the Hush Puppy back to life. Have a look...

Posted: 11/5/2012 2:39:54 AM EDT

"Folks,

The retro sidearm thread got me thinking a bit. Yes, I know...VERY dangerous thing to do with RBRD floating around in one's veins and cranium...

Last night, I done put the first thought into motion: I bought a complete slide for a particular pistol off eBay. The slide is for a Smith and Wesson Model 39-2. The retro sidearm I am going to attempt to replicate is... an S&W Mk 22 Mod 0 "Hush Puppy," possibly complete with faux can. I may also make a GI holster for it...

The slide I bought has the original adjustable rear sight on it, with the "wings" for protection. Based on some images I found online, recreating the raised front sight should be simple, along with making a raiser for the original S&W rear sight. As such, the parts I am having conundrums about are as follows:

- Extended height rear sight "wing"
- Two-sided slide stop with extended release lever

As for the barrel, I thought I had seen a 5" barrel for a S&W 39 series available in the past, but if that is no longer an option, what firm can make a new threaded, blued barrel at a reasonable price? I am also working on ideas for the faux can, especially getting it sized right, so the new extended height front sight will work with it. I wish to at least make this pistol functional for accurate firing without the can on...

Okay, fellow Retroheads: what say you?"

It was indeed a journey, one filled with patience. Luckily, things worked out pretty much properly from the start, thus making it easier to handle.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: