View Single Post

Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 2,922 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targets Guy View Post
Beautiful revolver. This is a learning point for me. I always thought a "combat masterpiece" was a 4" barrel.
Good question . . . those of us who researched the MSHP special order concluded the factory considered the 6" barrel with Patridge target front sight a "Masterpiece" and anything less than 6" with Baughman ramp front sight a "Combat Masterpiece".

Attached is the invoice for one of the shipments to the MSHP that confirms their model name. There are also pictures of the box confirming the same but I can't seem to locate one right now.

Factory historical letters have referred to these 5" special order guns as "Masterpiece" . . . in part, I believe, because there was never a catalogued listing for the 5". The MSHP guns did not have 5" forged barrels but rather started out 6" Masterpieces and were factory modified to 5" and front sights changed.

Whatever we call them, they are one outstanding and well-balanced firearm and were revered by the Missouri troopers who carried them from 1952 to 1976.

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MSHP invoice 50 units June 13, 1952.jpg (158.1 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by linde; 07-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
The Following 16 Users Like Post: