View Single Post

Old 07-01-2017, 06:37 PM

Liked 25,616 Times in 8,661 Posts
Default THE DOLLARS AND "SENSE" OF RE-LOADING AMMUNITION

This is not the first time I have discussed this subject but since it does seem to come up from time to time I figured I'd post this again. The costs below are from what I have personally purchased in the recent past.

Let's say one is going to buy a Reloading Outfit to load .38 Special, .45 acp and .45 Colt. I am NOT including the cost of the Brass because IMHO there is no reason to buy it! Almost any Range is laden with once fired Brass in these popular calibers and it is there for the taking. My Club Ranges are so heavily littered with perfectly serviceable Brass I always tell new guys getting into reloading NOT to buy the cases. I would have a hard time believing your local Ranges are any different. I have given out thousands and thousands of Brass to new Re-loaders just to get them started. OK - so let's say the Brass is free.

Bullet heads for target shooting that I use are lead. I pay 0.089 cents for a 230 grain .45 acp bullet, 0.065 cents for a 158 grain RNL bullet and 0.100 cents for a .45 Colt 255 RNFP bullet all from Dardas Cast Bullets which I think are very good quality.

I use Titegroup for .38 Spl and .357 Mag, W231 for .45 acp and Unique for .45 Colt. Since all of those powders all cost about $20 / lb (I buy 8 pound cans).

Primers are selling for about $28 - $30 bucks per 1000 so that comes to about 0.030 each.

OK - now the math......

.38 special

cartridge Case.......... FREE
Bullet ..................... 6.5 cents
Powder.................... 1.0 cent
Primer..................... 3.0 cents

TOTAL..................... 10.5 cents / rnd x 50 = $5.50 /box of 50

.45 acp

Cartridge Case........... FREE
Bullet........................ 9 cents
Powder...................... 1.3 cents
Primer....................... 3.0 cents

TOTAL....................... 13.3 cents / rnd x 50 = $6.65/box of 50

.45 Colt

Cartridge Case .......... FREE
Bullet....................... 10 cents
Powder..................... 2.3 cents
Primer...................... 3 cents

TOTAL....................... 15.3 cents each x 50 = $7.65/box of 50

There are 7000 grains of powder in a pound so you can divide how many grains of powder you are using into 7000 and come up with cost per round based on your price per pound.

A GOOD reloading outfit can certainly be purchased for $1500.00 or so. If you save $15 per box over name brand Factory ammo (average of course - some more some less) and you take the $1500 equipment cost and divide it by the savings per box ( 1500 / 15 = 100 boxes of ammo) you will break even and pay for all your equipment after 100 boxes or 5,000 rounds.

While I don't know how long it would take you guys to shoot 5,000 rounds I know I go through that in about 6 months. So that is my perspective on just how fast reloading equipment and components will pay for themselves. Slightly longer if you buy super premium equipment and slightly less if you buy budget stuff. I suppose it also depends on what bullets you shoot but for Target shooting I have no problem using lead cast bullets.

OTHER THAN DOLLARS AND CENTS NOW:

Many guys like myself are serious target shooters and like shooting very accurate and slightly lighter recoiling bullets. I load my target ammo to respectable velocities but not up to defensive ammo velocities. So you can custom tune your own loads to your personal needs.

Many guys find reloading relaxing and enjoyable (I am not really one of them and usually load in bulk - then cover the press again). That's a personal opinion of course.

Once components are procured you never loose the ability to roll your own no matter what the political climate is. Since components last virtually forever if stored properly, you can but in bulk when one of the larger suppliers runs a sale and offers free shipping and NO Haz-Mat fees.

So there is my take on re-loading for those of you who are thinking about taking the plunge!

Regards,
Chief38
The Following 14 Users Like Post: