View Single Post

Old 07-02-2017, 03:02 AM

Liked 920 Times in 303 Posts

With all this talk of $90 a box with labor factored in, I took some time to crunch a few of my own numbers....

38 Special Target Load:
Material costs
Case: free
Bullet: ? cents, home made lube, electric and propane for lead for lead recycling at home, free to minimal
Powder: 2.8 grains Bullseye, .9 cents per round
Primer: 3 cents per round
Material : 3.9-? cents per round

Total labor estimate:
4 Hours work for 80 pounds of clean ingots from scrap collected from my rubber traps and remelted, $1 per 5600 grains or $1.25 a pound at $25 an hour

5600 grains / 170 grain Keith = 33 bullets per dollar, basically 3 cents per bullet

3.5 hours of casting, including setup, warm up, clean up, sorting average 1,300 bullets or 372 high grade bullets per hour, 6.7 cents per bullet at $25 an hour

One hour to size and lubricate 600 bullets, 4.1 cents per bullet

150 rounds loaded per hour in careful fashion, 16.6 cents per total loaded round

Total theoretical labor cost per total loaded round 30.4 cents
Total material plus theoretical labor 34.3 cents per round
50 round box at material cost is around $2
50 round box at material cost plus theoretical labor $17.15

If I was still on the old single stage that i still love, that would drive up the theoretical labor cost higher, and whatever wage you want to calculate will change it too, but even with $50 an hour and a 50 rounds per hour on a single stage would still be hard to come out at over $50 a box. Keep in mind some young shooters make closer to 12.50 an hour in their real jobs, and some progressive reloaders will easily outpace my careful pace. Many people take more time and make far more per hour than I, but I think a general idea of what labor included can be, at least, ballparked.

As with subjectivity, I'm sure if you are a heat surgeon and you moonlight at a gas station, your story about how much you make as a doctor will lead to the gas station awarding you a wage based on your skilled labor salary and not on the wage that is at the level of the job and what the employer can afford to pay. This line of logic can distort our perception of value and trying to put monetary value to our productive time we use to be productive to ourselves, when in truth all the numbers are kinda just made up.

As for me, I try to mandate myself to firing at least 2,600 rounds out o my M27 every year, so $104 of actual monetary cost to me is a fine, and very real, number, and I'll stick with that.

Last edited by Duckford; 07-02-2017 at 03:04 AM.