View Single Post

Old 07-02-2017, 09:11 PM

Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

We live in a total back woods area.State forest on 3 sides and a driveway that is almost .5 mile long to a hard road.There have been active bear,cyote,wolf,and a mountain lion (or cougar as the DNR calls it) sightings . This area,between Traverse city ,Clare,and Alpena, is the Meth capitol of northern michigan(not my assesment).Almost every night there is a meth lab bust or find.Even though it is a beautiful area with many recreational opprotunities,it is not all that it seems to the casual visitor.I have carried since the mid 60's,when the only way to do it was either illeagally or with a card signed by the county sherrif makeing you a "part time special deputy".Since my dad was a DS and the sherrif lived across the street from us,I did not have any problem getting that card!I grew up in a very safe urban enviroment,but I always seemed to work,and eventually own a bussiness in a getto.When my wife and I retired,we moved here.That was almost 20 yrs ago and I can honestly say that niether one of us has ever faced a serios threat,unless you ask my wife about the badger in wyoming (1970) that she somehow got between her den and her(badger)while deer hunting.The badger was promply dispatched by a 7 mm mag at 15 paces!None the less we have both carried most of our adult lives,and do not ever leave the house w/o our edc.I built a nice(IMO) range with 10 and 50 yd target frames and a backstop that would challenge a .50 cal.We both shoot a couple times a week,sometimes together,sometimes not.When we come in the house,my edc goes on my computer desk,hers on the table infront of her chair.My 39-2 is under my pillow,edc next to it at night, and there are 2-ar pistols in the bedroom.So,are we paranoid? Maybe,but we are both still alive and when someone knocks at the door,one of us has thier edc in hand.Nieghbors (we actually only have 2) and friends are used to it and ignore it.First time visitors,usually become a bit edgy,but thats OK,we have never been drawn down on!We have been together since 1967,and the weapons have never been an issue between us,unless it was because of a lack of them at any given time.Our 2 sons grew up with both pistols and long guns everywhere in the house and were shooting as soon as they were old enough to hold them.There was never any issue with them,however both nancy and I know that if we did that today cps would have our kids and we would be in jail.Its a sad thing but a reality.Oddly enough,niether one of them has anything other than a casual intrest in guns now that they are adults.As I sit in the famly room right now,watching "naked & afraid",I can count 3 handguns,2 of which are only an arms length away.We have no edc problems in our family or marrige and never did!