View Single Post

Old 07-02-2017, 09:40 PM

Liked 4,295 Times in 1,611 Posts

A little late to the party here but figured I'd weigh in since I just got done doing some spring and polishing work on my new (old stock)2", 357 mag. SP101. FWIW, this is the third SP101 I've owned and reworked. Here are my thoughts and results.
First, these are pretty easy revolvers to break down and work on. There is lots of youtube guidance available to get anybody through the process. It's a good thing it's easy too as the internals can be screaming for attention. The factory DA trigger was off my Lyman scale (i.e. over 12#). The SA was just about 5# but inconsistent.
I went with the wolf spring kit ( 8# return and 10# main) . I also bought a shim set from triggershims.com but only used part of the kit as mine as fit fairly tight to start. . Beyond the new parts, I basically polished everything that moved against anything to get the grittiness out. Some parts (like the main spring strut and inside the trigger return spring hole in the trigger guard, were very rough and required me to start with 400/800 grit. Other parts only took a few swipes with a patch and some mothers mag polish. While I had it apart, I relieved the edges of the trigger itself as they were almost sharp. (This improved trigger feel all by itself.)
In the end, the trigger now pulls ALLOT smoother and at 3#3 oz in SA and 9# 12 oz in DA. There is still some stacking (unlike my S&Ws) and a touch of creep but it's 1000% better. If I need to go back up to to a 12# spring, it only takes 3 min to swap out. As I recall though, the 10# should work fine.
Now to do something about these terrible grips :-)

Last edited by Wee Hooker; 07-02-2017 at 09:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: