View Single Post

Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Liked 25,701 Times in 8,685 Posts

For one, I am unable to find .45 Colt 255 grain RNFP for under $40 bucks a box OF 50. (many are sold in boxes of 20). Second, I own genuine Colt SAA revolvers that are on the older side and like to keep my "Cowboy Loads" lighter so they last as long as possible. No need to stress out old guns to put holes in paper with the amount I do shoot them.

I am unaware of any Factory loaded ammo for the .45acp with 230 grain RNL "LEAD hardball" at any price. The two indoor Clubs I belong to will not allow the use of jacketed ammo so if I want to shoot them indoors I HAVE TO re-load. I will NOT shoot others reloads. While outdoors I can shoot anything, I do not want to load two different types of ammo (Jacketed and lead).

When I used the number of $15 per box savings that was an AVERAGE PRICE. Yes you can get sale priced ammo in bulk, but it may be 130 grain or in a configuration you simply don't want. I like shooting the same exact ammo every time out of a designated gun - as I am into as much accuracy as I am capable of.

The examples and math I posted are from what is trending on the national websites and in my LGS's. If you can buy a specific load in bulk cheaper - great. The numbers I posted are real for me and most here, but if you just are not into re-loading I can understand that as well. I also reload 45-70 and 38-55 Rifle which are not only ridiculously expensive, most LGS don't even carry it! Add that into the mix above and reloading saves even more than I posted.

Reloading is NOT for everyone - I get that. There are some who would not reload even if they were GIVEN a brand new Outfit and free components. For those of us who shoot very often and are interested in a consistent ammo supply and in making that ammo as accurate and consistent as possible, reloading makes sense - assuming you have the time & desire to do so. I'm a Serious Target Shooter and like to know exactly where each one of my firearms hits and like the consistency. Hey, it works for me. .

The reason for this post was because there are MANY who are interested in getting into re-loading and I tried to be as realistic as possible. One can always pick apart a post for this or that, but in general I stand by my numbers and facts and think it's pretty accurate. YMMV.

Last edited by chief38; 07-03-2017 at 11:26 AM.