View Single Post

Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 PM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

First off a powder well suited for 38 special won't be optimum for 40 S&W and it will be much to "fast" for 10mm.

If you want a powder that will work sort of well I would suggest Accurate #5 or Vihtavouri 3N37. Both have burn rates similar to Unique and both have superb metering properties. Downside to Accurate # 5 is that it's best suited to building +P 38 special loads, at standard 38 special charge weights it's operating below it's optimum ignition pressure and as a result you more velocity variation that ideal for great accuracy. As for the 3N37, works very well for 38 special but in the 40 and 10mm you'll be giving up just a bit of velocity. Actually the best powder for velocity in the 40 and 10mm I've used is Longshot and it meters about as well as dog poop, which means it meters identically to Unique. However if you are looking to get to the maximum possible velocities both #5 and 3N37 will do the job and they really do meter wonderfully in my RCBS Competition meter.

One note about #5 though, just like H110 the grain size for #5 is fine enough to leak in the Lee Perfect Powder Measure and cause the drum to jam. If you have one of these cheap Lee measures then either step up to the RCBS or just avoid the Accurate handgun powders and spend the extra money for the Vihtavouri powder.
The Following User Likes This Post: