View Single Post

Old 07-06-2017, 04:17 PM

Liked 19,850 Times in 8,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post

I

Then he explained the differences in expansion between Mini Mag and Velocitor. Paraphrasing his comments, the Mini Mag HP well is drilled much deeper than that of the Velocitor. The Velocitor well is really shallow by comparison. I bought some yesterday and the difference is quite noticeable.

He continued that the Mini Mag was designed to mushroom but the Velocitor was designed to only slightly expand without mushrooming. Here is the rational. The Mini Mag is a lighte bullet (34gr) at lower velocity than Velocitor and so needs greater expansion to do its damage. The Velocitor has greater mass at 40gr and greater velocity. While the Mini Mag will make a greater permanent wound cavity during its lesser penetration, the Velocitor will make a lesser permanent wound cavity but over more penetration. So the trade off is wider PWC with less penetration or narrower PWC with greater penetration.

I did ask about the hyper velocity Stinger a 32 grain bullet with an extra dose of powder in its longer casing. He said the aim of the Stinger was to achieve faster velocity and longer range using a rifle. At short distances out of a handgun it will not achieve the characteristics of either the Mini Mag or Velocitor.

I will publish the results of my testing later this month, and I will announce the publication and results here.
By the way great info...... new info to me...........