View Single Post

Old 07-06-2017, 05:46 PM

Liked 14,858 Times in 5,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise_A View Post
That's a bit of an overreaction. For instance, I can quite safely use Bullseye to load pretty much everything from .380 to .44 Magnum. Data exists, it's not voodoo, and it's not inherently dangerous.

What I can't do is use Bullseye to get 1250 fps out of a 255-grain LSWC in the .44 Magnum.
I agree with you -- probably much more than you'd realize. An "over reaction" perhaps, but it was a direct response to the generalized post above mine.

Let me expound a little bit... and yes I do realize that I need to explain in a manner that sounds less like preaching and more like sharing my own discovery in hopes that other do the same.

I'd been a safe and successful handloader for many years and many thousands of rounds all the while dead-blind to exactly HOW different powders and burn rates actually work. And if I have to guess (and using my experience to guide me...) -many- new handloaders see almost exactly the same (limited!) view that I did before I saw the whole picture.

New guy starts with one or two or four handgun calibers. He's already overwhelmed with information overload and the money he begins to realize he needs to throw at this hobby to "save" money. The idea to use one magic powder to load many calibers is 100% natural and dangit -- the powder manufacturers show PUBLISHED data for these very fast burners in very large volume, high pressure magnum revolver rounds. "Hey, says right there, Titegroup data for .44 Mag!"

Do -any- of these handloaders, even ONE of these new handloaders know powder the way we know powder?

Do they know that even a compressed and "barely in there" crazy over-max load of H110 in a modern .44 Mag wouldn't grenade the gun but a double charge of Titegroup may very well throw metal? And I say this knowing for sure that you can probably actually fit a TRIPLE charge of Titegroup in that case?

Do they also have a mental picture of how linear, predictable, and SAFE the pressure curve is in a .44 Mag handload when you use the proper slower burning powders -- and how the pressure curve looks on a graph if you build .44 Mag with Titegroup or Red Dot or W231?

Do they understand even a little bit that their .44 Mag published max load with Bullseye gives them the SAME or MORE peak pressure as a proper load built with AA#9 or 2400, but gives them 200 less FPS? Do they have even the slightest idea that the proper powder exhibits a very smooth rise to peak while the pistol powder goes from "bang" to "OH GOD" in a third of a grain?

Again, my direct response was to the idea specifically about loading .380 and "the big .50" which, in handguns, is arguably going to be either the .50AE or the .500 S&W Mag. Pick either, argument is the same-- this is a horrendous idea, all risk with no reward I can imagine. The proper powders for either "fifty" will stick a bullet in .380 (next shot catastrophe) and a proper .380 powder won't make any semi-auto .50AE operate and when used in .500 Mag will return either a safe powderpuff load (in a handgun the size/weight of a field artillary) or, if the handloader is careless or clueless, will potentially blow up the gun in a way that H110, 300-MP, AA#9 or 4227 isn't capable of even approaching.

Haha, and a shout-out and high-five to the guy that suggested to me that 800-X is worse metering than Unique: yes brother, I also have my "half can of 800-X", hell yes it meters even worse. I didn't bring it up because 800-X has maybe 1/50th of the popularity of Flaming Dirt, the true "Hall of Famer" Hercules/Alliant Unique.
The Following User Likes This Post: