View Single Post

Old 07-06-2017, 10:53 PM

Liked 40 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatt51 View Post
WHEW!!! long read. I see I came late for the Dinner.. ended up at Supper.. LOL

Meaning, I'm new to the S&W 15-22 since June 18th. So it was news to me about this non-issue I saw over on another "rimfire" forum, and now here.

FWIW, it is not dirty gun, nor duds nor for the most part, ammo. however, even Smith & Wesson has recommendations of ammo to use and NOT to use on their Performance Center model. ALL firearms are man made, and there can be an issue of a few slipping through that for all intents and purposes, look "ok". On mine putting in 0.153" x 1.000" diameter pins and noticing the movement of the pin in the hole leads me to believe that hole size can quickly become a problem. Not every one has issues with hole size. The holes are precise for the proper alignment of trigger sear and hammer sear. If there is very much off in where the holes are, or the size of the holes or the wear of the pins, and matching sears and let off, it can lead to some problems.

I've made a lower from 80% lower Polymer from jamesmadisontactical.com/ and drilling, even with a jig can be challenge in polymer. If you run the drill bit too fast and don't provide enough "cleaning" as you drill you can get the tip hot and melt/bore the hole instead of cutting a nice clean hole. Worn bits on metal usually give undersized holes, but on plastics they can generate heat and actually cut oversize. Nothing worse than an oversize hole.

So my speculation... theory is, someone had one of the rifles that probably had oversize holes that allowed too much give on the pins and resulting tolerances between trigger sear and hammer.

It is not S&W fault design, it is simply machinist error on when to change out bits or the procedure of drilling the hole, and nothing more. It can happen on aluminum as well, with the same results.

Cheer! (toasts glass of wine to you all... anyone want a nice Merlot?)