View Single Post

Old 07-07-2017, 04:28 PM
US Veteran

Liked 24,874 Times in 8,518 Posts

Yup.

December 1976. I was a young deputy sheriff in East Alabama. My dad and his boss/best friend were going to drive my car down from the DC area and meet me in Atlanta where they were attending a Army Corps of Engineers meeting. A buddy of mine drove over to Atlanta with me. We go up to dad's motel room and drop our sidearms on the bed. My buddy Frank wasn't law enforcement at the time, but did have a Alabama CCW. Dad's friend wants to know why were packing and I explained that, "We are in Atlanta". My dad understands.

We all go out to eat in Underground Atlanta. Back then, Underground was a tourist draw. When the Yankees burned Atlanta, the city was rebuilt above the old part of town. It is a Monday night, misty rain and Underground is mostly empty. We eat at a Greek restaurant and then head back to the car. We were walking in a diamond pattern; my buddy Frank was in the lead, dad and his boss side by side behind Frank and I was bringing up the rear. As we approach a store front, two men step out in front of Frank and start walking ahead of him. As I pass the store front, a third man steps out behind me. So, there we are, seven men walking on a empty street.

I had on a heavy coat and was carrying a 1911, Mexican style, underneath. I reached under my coat and grabbed my .45. Frank had reached under his coat and grabbed his Walther PP .380, carried cross draw. I looked over my shoulder and saw the guy behind me waving his arms over his head. The two guys in front looked back, then they drifted across the street and disappeared.

When we got to the car, my dad said something to the effect that that was a close call. Frank and I agreed. Dad's boss asked, "What are you talking about?" He had no clue about what had just happened and he had been in the Army Air Corps during WW II.

Some folks need to pay attention to their surroundings.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!

Last edited by Muley Gil; 07-07-2017 at 04:32 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: