View Single Post

Old 07-09-2017, 09:06 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 198 Times in 36 Posts
Default 1899 serial numbers

I have three 1899 S&W. Here are the serial numbers for them and if they have the roll marks on the barrels. The first is serial # 7676 and it is blued. It does not have any barrel marks about cartridge. The second is serial #5256. It is currently nickel finished and is not barrel marked for cartridge either. I am a little confused on this one as it is in the range for the Navy issued ones and is nickel plated. The serial # for it is in the same place as the Army issued one I have and not on the bottom of the grip, bt on the front side of the grip. Behind the cylinder yoke is another number which is 3328 and below it is an outlined star with the capital letter "I" in the middle of it. I am wondering if someone altered it at some time. The last one I just purchased about a month ago is serial #13552 and it is an Army issued one and the barrel is roll marked S&W 38 MIL. The 38 Special cartridge will NOT fit in the cylinder and we are looking into it. So not sure if it was chambered for the 38 Long Colt or what. Hope that helps with your research on the barrel markings and all. I can send pictures later if you would like.

Last edited by DEL56; 07-09-2017 at 09:09 PM.