Thread: Brill Holster
View Single Post

Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 PM

Liked 7,688 Times in 2,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
Red,
Now I am confused. You mention rounded corners and square corners. Do you happen to have a picture of holsters to show the difference. I looked at the Specific Maker - AW Brill thread, but unfortunately almost all of the pictures are gone thanks to photobucket! So, I could not find any to compare. Thanks.
Larry
Sure, did these up for Phil once upon a time (some pics belong to forum members):

2.jpg which is a known Rabensburg 1955

1.jpg marked Brill with the same round corners as the Rabensburg

brill saa (3).jpg marked Brill with the squared corners.

The theory that the builders are different is my own, based on being a maker myself. And we do know the periods that N.J. Rabensburg was in Texas and when he wasn't (census, newspaper archives, s/s records, etc.). The backside of the two round-cornered holsters are identical as to the odd stitching at the left side, the right side, and at the muzzle; impossible to be a coincidence (and all other clones of the Brill are different in those three places and the lining attachment, and the very weird and seemingly arbitrary way the welts are layered near the muzzle).

The holster attributed to Ranger L.E. Trimble (hey, learnt recently that his names are French in origin not Spanish) has the square corners. Sheriff Wilson tells me that Trimble, despite the legend, did not ever speak of creating any holster including the Brill (of which several were in Lee's estate).

Last edited by rednichols; 07-10-2017 at 09:24 PM.
The Following 17 Users Like Post: