View Single Post

Old 07-10-2017, 10:34 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default 329PD projectile selection

Hi all!

I've had my 329PD for a bit now, and have been shooting the HSM 240gr (at 1150 ft/s reportedly, chrono says 1240ft/s) that has been leading up the barrel something fierce. Not complaining at all but I am also surprised at how much fire cutting the cylinder has received in the ~150rds I've shot through it. Got the X-frame grip on it and thoroughly enjoying it. Just went through the process of taking out the internal lock (HH) and putting it back together.

From my research, as I've interpreted it, these guns are good for any SAAMI spec loaded ammo, and may do better with the ~240-255gr projectiles or lighter. My intentions were to bring this with me backpacking and I wanted something hot to keep in it.

I have currently loaded (for lighter critters):

200gr XTP
28gr H110
Fed Mag Pistol Primers (match, for whatever that's worth)
Starline Brass (crimped fairly firm)

reloading manual says 1750ft/s but I'll consult the chrono when I shoot it. Not looking to shoot a lot of hot rounds, just medium spicy.

I am looking at either some 260gr Cast performance gas check hard cast, or what I was really wondering about was the 220gr xtreme penetrator. I've seen these talked about for 9 and 380, but never 44. My thoughts were that the higher penetration of the xtreme penetrator than the hard cast bullet would make up for the revolver only having a 4" barrel & lower velocity. Perhaps 1500ft/s with the 220gr?

I haven't seen any discussions about the xtreme penetrator for 44, but it sounds like grizzlies, you only really care about penetration. Black bears, perhaps the 240 XTP's are more appropriate. The xtreme penetrators need to be pushed really fast, otherwise they are poop?

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!!

Picture because why not.

Last edited by Beneviolence; 07-10-2017 at 11:00 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: