View Single Post

Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 PM

Liked 714 Times in 273 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! I never expected this thread to be so popular. I'll definitely buy some more Bullseye if I ever use up my other fast-burning powders (most of the 5000+ per year reloads that I shoot). I also load some medium to hot loads with Power Pistol, VV 3N37, 2400 and W296. My supply of Unique is also running low and I won't replace that either because I have a good supply of other similar powders.

To answer some of the comments and questions:

1. My first reloads back in 1964 were in .38 Special with Lyman 358495, 148 grain button nose wadcutter over 2.8 grains Bullseye and Lyman 358311, 158 grain round nose over 3.5 grains Bullseye. Thousands of these were fired through a S&W K-38 Single Action (which I still have) and a Colt .357 Magnum (long since sold). My last reloads with Bullseye were also in .38 Special, 125 grain lead flat nose over 3.3 grains of Bullseye. These shoot to point of aim at 50 feet with one of my current favorite revolvers, a 3 inch Model 36 from 1963.

2. Like Les B., I enjoy shooting old guns with old brass and original style bullets, but I don't care that much about the powder and primers. Currently reloading HBWC's in Peters .38 Special brass in the old Police Match boxes with 3.2 grains HP-38 and Tula primers. I also reload oldies like .32 S&W, .38 S&W, and .455 Webley.

3. The $18.95 per pound price for Bullseye is from the Powder Valley website. $129.99 for 8 pounds was at Fin, Fur, and Feathers the last time I was there (March, I think).

4. AA #2 is available from several online vendors; I bought 5 pounds for $86 early this year from Graf's. I think the price has actually come down since then. The VV powders are more expensive, but to me they're worth the price. On a per round basis it's less than a penny more (depending on the cartridge). HP-38 is slower burning, but pretty much has the same applications as Bullseye (I've used both in everything from .25 ACP to .45 Colt).
The Following User Likes This Post: