View Single Post

Old 07-12-2017, 04:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 33,841 Times in 5,284 Posts
Default Hey, that's no Chief Special! A Terrier finally joins the pack

I had just finished shooting at my indoor range, and took a quick look at their handgun wall. It is usually all tactical stuff, but today I was taken aback by what I thought was a flat latch Chief's Special. The tag said Model 36, but that short cylinder was a dead giveaway.

Finally, a Terrier. I've had a weird hankering for one dating back to my youth, when I was watching either "What's My Line" or "To Tell The Truth". One of the contestants was a police detective, and either Bill Cullen or Orson Bean asked them what a Terrier was. None of them knew, not even the real guy. Bill/Orson said - Its the kind of gun my neighbor the cop carries.

The seed was planted in my little pre-teen gun nut brain. I consulted the 1967 version of the internet (a stack of old Gun Digests) to see what the hell they were talking about.

Oh man. Bill/Orson had the coolest neighbor. His gun shot "Super Police" ammo!

Over the years I just never ran across one. I have two other .38 S&W revolvers - a Safety Hammerless and a WWII Enfield. They wanted $329, and I didn't even dicker.

It's not pristine. Plenty of wear, but the grips are right and it hasn't been refinished that I can tell.

I'm guessing its from around 1955. No Model number on it.

I love the stubby little rounds.

This is my first I frame. It is an I frame, right?

It feels great. It is light and handy and it's about the same size as my little LCP.

Anyway, it is great to finally scratch that old itch.

I've dipped my toe back into reloading with an old Lyman 310, and I have a set of .38 S&W dies. I'm looking forward to spending some range time with this old fella.

Last edited by sigp220.45; 07-12-2017 at 04:29 PM.
The Following 38 Users Like Post: