View Single Post

Old 07-13-2017, 01:45 PM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo View Post
My son, Matt, is a deputy sheriff. About 18 months ago, he was called to a scene involving a suicidal subject with a knife. The man was in a nearly-empty parking lot at a ski area with a 6" fixed blade knife. Matt took up station about 50' away alongside a new deputy he was training. Matt had an M1A rifle, his trainee a 12 ga. shotgun. They were behind their truck's doors. Two other deputies arrived and posted on either side of the subject. Negotiation went on for about a half hour, but the subject made his intent very clear. He finally charged, coming on at a dead run. Matt fired one shot at about 15', the trainee fired his shotgun almost simutaneously. Both hit center mass and the situation was thus resolved. They were, of course, criticized in the press for not " shooting him in the leg" or "tazing him" or some other idiotic thing. Bottom line, there was no way he was going to shoot anywhere but center mass on a guy with a big knife and the announced intent to use it. Fortunately, his boss backed him and all ended well. Knives simply cannot be taken lightly as so many seem to think.
I'm a frequent and often harsh critic of the police.

That having been said, I don't expect ANYBODY to LET themselves to be slashed or stabbed to death, be they a cop or an interior designer. Nor do I expect them to incur one IOTA of risk to protect an assailant attempting to unlawfully stab or slash them to death.

A knife attack is deadly force, PERIOD. Unlawful deadly force should be met with deadly force.

If somebody doesn't want to be shot to death, their first priority should be to NOT unlawfully attack others with deadly force, whether they use a bike lock, a knife or a Thompson submachine gun.