View Single Post

Old 07-13-2017, 03:12 PM

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Dear all,

Excuses for the late reply, thanks for helping me out.
I am always overwhelmed by how many time you are willing to spend on a total stranger. Even at the 4th of July! Thanks!

I had to read your posts a couple of times to get an overview of what is standing there. Some very motivating groups! Nice goals to go for.
I realize I ran in quite naive, I am going to improve the circumstances, on all fronts.

I will try the loads mentioned, or something close with the same characteristics, something to start from. If you have a favorite load too: let me know!

Besides that I still have some, more general, questions:
- For instance: how big is the influence of the velocity on the accuracy or is it mainly the bullet that determines the quality of the ammo? (assumed that the brass is checked)
- Any idea how to create a reproducible steady alignment with the target without a laser taped to the barrel and without a scope (just don't have one). Is a rock solid wooden gutter were I can lay the barrel in an alternative?

Best regards

HP

Oh, and about the Spanish guys. We kicked them out, but it took 80 years, and I don't wanna wait that long! ;-)

Extra info:

The gun is a 6" N frame with a full barrel underlug, pre-lock, pre-MIM. Barely shot but to be sure I had the barrel refitted. The conus is re-cutt at 11degrees and it is crowned, precisely. The barrel is .357, in mint condition. The mouths of the cylinder seem the same, no large deviations. The main spring is full on, factory standard, all primers should ignite evenly. Till now I don't know how to check alignment of chamber and barrel. The endshake of the cylinder is nill, it locks up tight too.

For the ammo I just grabbed some components (no mixed, but new brass) and made some combinations, just to see what happens. I always use Vihtavuori powders. It is a tubular design with a progressive burning rate. I think it is a good quality powder. For the slower powders I always go to the max of the 38spec table, just to make sure it burns right. A 357mag can handle that. I use Federall primers N100. The bullets I used are all copper plated, dia .357. No crimp grove. I do apply roll crimp to prevent bullets moving out. I don't want to try lead bullets because of my tight cylinder gap and lead build up on the front of the cylinder.

The ammo made me start this thread. Because all the groups seem to be the same they don't give a hint which direction to go with developing. 158gr Round nose P+ load, 158gr flat nose target load, 148gr hbwc target load, all .357, all the same results.