View Single Post

Old 07-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Liked 12,654 Times in 3,371 Posts

I had a new SP 101 in .22LR that started keyholing bullets on the 3rd cylinder (8 shot cylinder, so after about 20 rounds). I cleaned it when I got home and got impressive chucks of lead out of it.

Ruger blamed the ammunition. So I shot it again with the CCI ammo they recommended. They grudgingly agreed to give me an RMA but noted that they had stopped providing shipping labels so I would have to pay for shipping up front ($75 next day air). I included the receipt in the box with the revolver per their instructions. I also included test targets and a detailed description of the problem (which should have helped even the dumbest of them to identify the improperly cut forcing cone.

The revolver showed up 2 week later with a note that they had "adjusted the ejector star", which of course had nothing to do with the problem. Sure enough it leaded the barrel and key holed bullets after another couple cylinders.

I called Ruger again and they agreed to give me another RMA number. I asked about reimbursement and they said talk to the business office. The business office said 6 weeks to process a receipt for reimbursement. I called Ruger back and said I already had $75 invested ins hipping and I wasn't going to pay to ship it back after they failed to even address the problem the first time. They sent me a label and sad they would ensure one of the supervisors looked at it when it arrived.

A 2 weeks later, they advised me that it was "non-repairable" and gave me the option of refunding my purchase price, provided I send them a receipt or they could send me a new one if I provided an FFL for them to send it to. I opted for a new revolver Fast forward a month, no reimbursement, and no new revolver. The business office indicated they did not have the receipt - the repair person apparently lost it - so they could not reimburse me. The customer service department confirmed they'd ship me a new revolver - next time they made a new batch of them. It ended up taking me six months total before I had a revolver that would shoot and then the accuracy was very mediocre.

I traded it on a Model 17 and have never regretted it.

I don't buy new Ruger revolvers anymore.